There are plenty of important essential items that every Airbnb or Vacation Rental should have, but more often it's the small things that guests need most and make the biggest difference. The following items will help you impress guests and get higher ratings in the process.
Here are the top 10 overlooked items:
1. Working Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector: Unfortunately this is one of the top overlooked things in a home, but could save you and your guests lives. Make sure to have a reliable detector installed in every room of the home, and make sure to test the system at least once per month.
PRICE: starting at $22, Amazon
2. Ecobee 4 Smart Thermostat: Smart thermostats provide your vacation rental the ease of use and energy savings that make this a no brainer investment. What sets the Ecobee apart from other devices is that it includes additional room sensors that optimize the temperature in your home based on occupancy, which is perfect for vacation rentals.
'PRICE: $229, Amazon
3. Hair Dryer: One of the top requested items that many host miss in their listings is a simple hair dryer. Think about every hotel you've been to and this is one amenity you will find just about anywhere.
PRICE: $11, Amazon
4. 6 in 1 Multi USB Charing Cable: You've seen these in cars and rideshare services like Lyft and Uber but they can be just as handy inside a vacation rental. Many guests use an array of different types of smartphone and tablet devices. Adding a multi-usb charging cable to your amenities will surprise and delight your guests. Consider offering these bedside on nightstands, or on desks for business travelers.
PRICE: Starting from $8, Amazon
5. House Guide: When guests arrive to your home it's best to welcome them with a comprehensive house guide that will answer the many questions they might have about the house and local area. Topics covered like how to work the tv, setting the alarm system, and quirks about the house that would be helpful to explain to guests. You can also use this guide to showcase your neighborhood by suggesting your favorite local spots to eat and shop.
6. Pack 'N Play: Families traveling with newborn and young babies will really appreciate having a pack n play available at your home. This is one of the top question from families traveling with children and babies and something you can advertise in your amenity list.
PRICE: $40, Amazon
7. Netflix: Ditch the expensive cable and satellite service and offer your guests the ability to stream thousands of shows, movies, and content to your tv.
PRICE: $9.99 per month
8. Full Length Mirror: This is one of the most recommended items that guests leave in review feedback. Having a full length mirror in at least one bedroom or bathroom is sufficient and will make guests happy.
PRICE: $44, Amazon
9. Blackout Shades: Most rooms in your home probably have window shades or treatments of some sort, but often guests looking to get a good night rest are often awoken by sunny rooms. Blackout shades provide an easy and inexpensive solution to offering your guests enhanced privacy and a good nights rest if they decide to sleep in past sunrise.
PRICE: Starting at $37, Amazon
10. Well Stocked Kitchen: Guests looking to utilize the kitchen to cook meals will appreciate a well stocked kitchen complete with the basics but also additional tools and appliances that will make them feel at home. Investing in a blender, food processor, or baking supplies will go a long way with guests. It's also a good idea to offer spices, oils, and other non-perishables.